Questions & Answers
What are the requirements necessary to obtain an Arizona CCW Permit?
• Must be a United States citizen.
• Must be lawfully present in the United States.
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• Not under indictment or have not been convicted of a felony in the U.S. or elsewhere.
• Not convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence.
• Not under court order (i.e. order of protection, harassment, etc.)
• Not a fugitive from justice.
• Not a user of or addicted to any controlled substance.
• Not been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
• Have never renounced U.S. citizenship.
• Do not suffer from mental illness and have not been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution.
• Have satisfactorily completed an acceptable firearms safety course taught by an NRA Certified Instructor.
- Active duty Arizona Peace Officers Standards and Training Board certified or federally credentialed peace officers.
- Honorably retired federal, state or local peace officers with a minimum of 10 years of service may obtain a permit without taking the firearms safety training program.
- Possession of a current or expired CCW permit from another state is accepted as proof of training for a CCW permit in Arizona
How long is my CCW Permit valid?
Five (5) Years from the date of issuance.
When must I renew my CCW Permit?
Concealed weapon permits must be renewed every five (5) years. New renewal procedures have implemented as a result of the passage of H.B. 2074 by the Arizona Legislature. Effective September 21st, 2006 you will no longer need to take a renewal course. Renewal is now done by mail directly with the Arizona Department of Public Safety. DPS will mail a renewal package to your address of record approximately 60 days prior to your permit expiration. You will need to complete an application for renewal and submit the application along with a certified check or money order payable to AZ Department of Public Safety for $43. Your renewed permit will be returned to you by mail within 75 days of receipt of your completed renewal package. Issuance of the renewal permit is contingent on a clear criminal background check.
How many hours is the Armed Personal Defense Online AZ CCW Course?
The Self-Guided course can be completed in approximately 30-60 minutes. Your actual time may vary based on how quickly you move through the material.
Does my Online AZ CCW course login ID expire?
No. Watch the online course as many times as you wish.
How many hours is the Armed Personal Defense™ Ultimate CCW Course and where is it held?
The course runs 8 hours in length on either a Saturday or Sunday
starting at 8:00 AM at Ben Avery Shooting Facility located in
Phoenix, AZ at the I-17 and Carefree Hwy (Exit 223).
The classrooms are air-conditioned for your comfort. The course typically includes 6 hours of lecture and 2 hours on the range. The course usually completes by 5:00 PM
What is included in the Ultimate CCW course fee of $129.00?
The course itself, all required AZ DPS CCW Permit application forms, all related printed material, Fingerprinting, Range Fees and Certificate of Completion. The course fee DOES NOT include the $60 fee that is payable to the Arizona Department of Public Safety. You do not need to bring the $60 AZ DPS fee to the course.
What other fee, if any, is required for my CCW Permit?
A processing fee in the amount of $60, effective December 31st, 2007 (Cashier's Check or Money Order only) made payable to the Arizona Department of Public Safety. This payment is submitted with your CCW Permit Application form and Fingerprint Card upon completion of the course. Your instructor will provide you with and help you complete the required forms at the conclusion of class.
How old must I be to receive my AZ CCW Permit?
You must be 21 Years of age, however, you may attend the 8 Hour CCW Course if you are 20 years of age and your 21st birthday is within six (6) months of the date you complete training (Certification Date).
Am I required to use my own handgun in the Ultimate CCW, and if so are there any special requirements?
We ask that you bring whatever handgun you feel comfortable with. You may use a revolver or semi-automatic pistol that is in good working order. Any caliber between .22 cal and .45 cal is acceptable.
What if I do not have access to a handgun?
Armed Personal Defense™ can provide you with your choice of revolver or semi-automatic pistol as long as you request a rental pistol at the time of registration. There is an additional charge of $25 for handgun rental. The rental fee includes ammunition and the use of a holster. Our rental handguns are Glock 9mm semi automatic pistols or Smith & Wesson .38 Special revolvers. Other calibers are available in limited quantity and by special request only. Call our office at 480-991-1300 for more information.
Does Armed Personal Defense™ sell the ammunition as well?
We would prefer that you bring your own ammunition. We generally only supply ammunition for our rental handguns.
What am I required to bring to the Ultimate CCW class?
A government issued photo ID, pen (black ink only) and note taking materials, your handgun (unloaded and in a case or holster), a quality strong side holster or case, 50 rounds of factory target ammunition and eye and ear protection.